Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Delightful Adventures: Cruising Amusement Part 3: Grand Cayman

The second stop on our cruise was the beautiful Grand Cayman, the largest of the Cayman Islands. This island is under British rule, so they fly the Union Jack and drive on the left side of the road. That's all that is British about this island, much to my disappointment, since I grew up in the UK. I was hoping to find Fruit Pastilles and Salt and Vinegar Chips, but all the products they sell are American. 

The most amusing touristy thing that happened was that we were greeted by a pirate ship as we reached the island (we had to get to the island from a smaller boat that picked us up at our ship).

We spent the majority of our time on Grand Cayman doing our awesome excursion-visiting a sea turtle farm and swimming with dolphins! We visited the Cayman Turtle Farm, where they raise thousands of sea turtles, which were becoming scarce in the wild. Apparently turtle meat is a traditional food in Cayman. We didn't eat any. But, we did hold baby turtles!



Across the road from the turtle farm, we went to Dolphin Royal Swim and swam with dolphins! It was pricey, but so worth it. I mean, how often can you get that close to a dolphin? I have this suspicion that dolphins are actually really mean, but maybe I will blog about that another day. I made my peace with them.


We played with the dolphins and swam with them by holding onto their fins. They also pushed us across the pool by pushing on our feet while we floated on a boogie board. It HURT!




So, even though they are probably mean and probably beat their wives, the dolphins were adorable bundles of fun.

Delightfully Loving Exotic Animals,


2 comments:

  1. Happy SITS Tuesday and you look like you are having tons of fun!
    Glad I stopped by your wonderful blog to say hello and wish you bliss and joy!
    Cheers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog and say hello on my special SITS day.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails