Thursday, February 18, 2010

Delightful Morsels: Broiled Steak Sandwich

I feared my husband would get sick of chicken. That's pretty much the only meat I've made in the past because it's safe. But, I've recently ventured out into the world of steak-and broiling. I'd never broiled anything until last week.

This recipe from Real Simple is quick, easy and very yummy! It also encourages us to eat our vegetables! I tweaked Real Simple's version by adding green pepper and different cheese.
Broiled Steak Sandwich
Time: 40 minutes Serves: 4

  • 1 lb of strip steak
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 medium onion sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
  • One green pepper, sliced
  • 4 teaspoons of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette
  • French Bread (I actually used Hoagie buns-they worked perfectly)
  • cheese-they suggest blue cheese, but since Jeff doesn't like blue cheese, I used cheddar slices. Next time I think I will try provolone or swiss.
1. Heat broiler. (OK, not to underestimate your knowledge, but just hit the "broiler" button on your oven)

2. Season steak with 1/2 teaspoon of salt 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place steak on one half of baking sheet.

3. Toss the tomatoes, onions, and peppers in a medium bowl with the oil, balsamic vinaigrette, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Place the vegetables, cut side down, on the other half of the baking sheet.

4. Broil the steak and vegetables, turning everything once, until the steak reaches desired doneness-4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove the steak and return the vegetables to oven until browned, about 1 minute longer.

5. Slice the steak. Put steak, vegetables, and cheese in bread. Enjoy!

Delightfully Cooking,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails