Sunday, January 31, 2010

Delightfully Nesting: Birdcage Decoration

I bought this really cute wire birdcage a while back from Hobby Lobby and took a long time to decide what to do with it, partly because I was getting married and moving.

I searched on decorating sites and google to get some inspiration and ideas, but everything I found looked like it belonged in my grandma's home or was designed for outdoors (I live in an apartment)

There were two ideas that I read about that I liked: placing different sized pillar candles inside or placing a potted plant or flower inside. I already have too many candle holders and I travel too much to keep anything alive like a pet or a plant. It's sad because I want both!

I went with the flower idea, but decided to go fake. I like topiary balls, so I thought I would make a flower topiary ball out of silk flowers and styrofoam ball. But then I found a pre-made one at Michaels and went the lazy route. The ball was white, so I added some red flowers, attachd it to the top of the cage and viola! I added some girliness to our NC State shelf:






I am thinking of adding a little fake bird, but can't find one I like that matches. I may be ambitious and make one out of felt...I'll let you know if that happens!

Delightfully Nesting,

7 comments:

  1. Too cute! I'm always too scared to venture into the birdcage thing because 1.)they look like my grandma's house and 2.) what do you do with them? Thanks for the inspiration and stopping by! (hint hint, next week's cupcake is going to be chocolate mint!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a little felt birdie on a branch would look so cute in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bird would be totally cute. I am a bit sewing challenged so that would be ambitious for me. I look forward to seeing your final look. Isn't nesting wonderful?

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so lovely. I've always loved those 'oldy worldy' type cages, but could never actually keep a real bird in there! Way too small. Very cute idea for the fake one though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pretty! I think a red bird in there would be nice. I love Hobby Lobby! Looks like you are a wolfpack fan too! :-)

    Thanks for visiting me on my SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popped in from SITS! I love your cheerful, whimsical blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh ya, also just wanted to say your blog always makes me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails