Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crafting Corner: DIY Cupcake Tier

There's just something about cupcakes. They are bunch of fun, giggles and delight covered in frosting.

I love cupcakes, so for my wedding I decided to have cupcakes instead of the traditional cake. It ended up being a great idea because no one had to do any cake cutting (except me and Jeff of course!). Guests could just pick them up and enjoy! Apparently, they are also cheaper than cake, but since my amazingly gracious friend, Larissa, made all 250 plus for FREE, I can't tell you from experience.

I also decided to make my own cupcake tiers to keep the cost down. Here's how I did it:

Materials:
  • Round cardboard cake boards of various sizes
  • Wrapping Paper
  • Glasses (I purchased them at thrift stores)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Decorative edging or ribbon
How To:
  1. I decided to make 1 big 3 tier holder and 3 small 2 tier holders, so I used 3 different sizes of cake boards-14", 10", and 8". For the big holder, I made sure the top tier was big enough to fit the small cake Larissa made for me and Jeff to cut. First, I wrapped each cake board in decorative wrapping paper (I chose green because my colors were green and black).
  2. With the help of my cousin, we built the tiers by gluing the glasses and cake boards together. The bottom and middle tier needed three glasses for full support.
  3. Last, we glued decorative edging and ribbon around each tier for a little flair.
Easy as...cupcakes!
It turned out really cute:



















I was ABSOLUTELY THRILLED with how beautiful the cupcake tiers looked with the cupcakes on them!





































The tiers were really sturdy and worked great!

Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. That is really cute! I just found your blog and it's lovely! Popped in from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey april, just checkin' out your blog. i never told you but i thought your cupcake layout was really cute and well done...cute, cute, cute...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails